Websites and web development has come a long way, but with each innovation in technology, there are new opportunities for hackers to take advantage of weak spots. And with more and more software systems being focused on making it easier to share information and link systems, there could be more means for data to fall through the cracks and be misused.
Website Security Checklist
When revamping or launching a painting business website
, security is paramount. Security breaches can put customer information at risk, and make their businesses vulnerable to cyberattacks. To safeguard your website, we recommend taking the following steps.
- Ensure Sitewide Secure Socket Layer: Having an SSL encrypts site traffic so data breaches are much more difficult. You know you have an adequate SSL if every URL on your website begins with https://. For additional resources on SSL and encryption, see Upguard.
- Be sure your SSL stays current and set it to auto-renew.
- Use SHA256 Encryption when possible – Experts recommend this encryption level for maximum security.
- Secure website forms, Make sure that all website forms are secure so no data is lost or compromised when forms are submitted.
- Set up a system for keeping admin passwords and usernames protected
- Redirect login screens to a different URL. This extra step adds a different layer of security.
- Daily backups: Backing up data daily will prevent significant disruption of your business if your devices crash, or you experience data loss.
- Update site versions and plugins regularly. The latest versions of website platforms and plugins also have the latest security updates, and more resources for technical support.
- When choosing a content management system, consider the CMS and its track record for security. Because CMS systems connect to other programs and platforms, they can pose an increased security risk unless there are properly protected.
- Scan for malware: Using malware scanning services can help you identify and quarantine threats so you can remove them properly.
Hire Teams Focused on Security
You wouldn’t hire a painting team that wasn’t committed to safety on the job. And you shouldn’t trust your website and online marketing planning to teams who don’t keep your website and data secure and protected. This includes:
- Web Development: Your website developer can be the first line of defense against cyber attacks by building a website that’s strong from the start. Ask them to recommend security certificates and plugins that prevent cyber attacks.
- Vendors and Subcontractors: If you work with a lot of vendors and subcontractors, you need to take extra care to keep website information, including logins, secure.
- Marketing Agencies: Marketing teams should have a track record for security and stability before you trust them with your marketing strategy and data.
If you’re not sure where to start, SearchPrimer can help. We are trusted by industry-leading commercial and residential painting companies across the country to meet their marketing goals while respecting their privacy and maintaining their security. Start on strong footing with a complimentary website audit to identify your strengths, and areas where you could improve website security. Request your audit today.